On February 16 and 18, 2010, Friends of the Morden Mine will hold two open houses to solicit feedback from the public on the Site Development Plan commissioned for Morden Colliery Historic Provincial Park and the western portion of Morden Colliery Regional Trail. Submissions are welcomed from anyone interested in preservation of this historic park area and/or enhancement of the adjacent portion of the trail.
The Tuesday, February 16, 2010, open house will be held at the Cranberry Community Centre, 1555 Morden Road, Nanaimo, 6:30 to 9:30 pm, in conjunction with the South Wellington and Area Community Association monthly meeting. The Thursday, February 18, 2010, open house will take place at the Cedar Heritage Centre, 1644 MacMillan Road, Cedar, from 6:30 to 9:30 pm.
The major objectives of the study are:
- Determination of the potential of the site to accommodate visitors, tourists, school excursions, and other uses related to its historic and cultural significance.
- Optimal location of an interpretative centre, parking areas, access, and other logistics on a preliminary landscape plan.
- Proposed management structure for the Morden site and its integration with Morden Colliery Regional Trail.
- Mitigation of possible usage conflicts with existing neighbourhood plans or objectives of other stakeholders.
- Projections of costs and time schedules necessary to carry out recommended options and exploration of funding sources.
Aside from the open houses, suggestions may be e-mailed to info AT mordenmine.com. For additional information see the Friends of the Morden Mine website.